Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Green Light




Derek is learning a lot at preschool! His letters and numbers and even how to write (or trace at this point) his name!! But one of the big things he is learning is to listen, behave and be kind to one another.
At school they use a stop light method for behavior. Good behavior keeps you on the green light. Not so good behavior moves you to the yellow light and really not so good behavior to the red light!!
I will admit that my boy has been at all three colors so far this year!! Last week he had 2 out of 3 "good days" so he was able to pick out of the treasure box at the end of the week! He picked a green bouncy ball and was so excited!
This week he had a not so good day on Monday but today he had a great day and was sent home this little certificate for good manners and behavior!
I try to use these times to really praise his behavior and tell him how happy I am and how proud of him I am. I have been talking with Derek every night before school and every morning of school and other random times about behaving and making Mommy happy by listening and being good. On Monday (the not so good day) when I went to get Derek the first thing he said to me was "Are you happy Mommy?", I should have suspected something was up because of the way he said it. So as we were walking to the car I asked him if he got in trouble today and he said he got put on "red". At least he told me the truth on his own and we had a good talk on the way home about behavior and listening!
I know there will be "red" days and "yellow" days but it makes me so happy on "green" days like today!

No comments: